Saturday, 2 September 2017

Two old missionaries...

Learning the Hard Way

"for such a time as this"

Natalie, our wonderful daughter (in-law) wrote a little
note to us that made me reflect on all the life experience I've had, which really has prepared me to handle a lot of the various challenges of this mission.  She makes us (Elder Peterson and I) sound better than we really are, but what she says is true for each person who takes their abilities and life-lessons and applies them to whatever situations they encounter. And yes, I've learned a lot from others and from life. Sometimes the learnings are rich and wide and deep. Sometimes questions remain. Sometimes I think/sense/believe things which are kept on hold and until they are verified. And sometimes I feel things that remain unspoken because I am protective of them and save them for proper disclosure in a safe place. Anyway, here's what Natalie wrote, and you can pretend she's writing to you, too.  Just plug in your skills and talents. God gave you some, too!

"Tom and Cath, I can't help but think how prepared you guys have beenn to be doing what you're doing "at such a time as this," You've been blessed to have organizational skills.  You are skilled at teaching and leading the youth. You know how to find good deals and buy things that you know people need.  You know how to lead a team.  You know how to feed an army.  You know how to entertain a crowd - especially the youth (and can come up with great games that you learned as a PE coach!)  You know how to work with other teams to get a project accomplished.  You are able to get by on little when there isn't much to go around.  You have awesome gardening skills to teach others.  You are both amazing teachers and can teach the gospel as you teach life skills, just as Christ would do.  And mostly you are good at loving the people around you, wherever that is.  These people need you and you have been sent for all the gifts and talents you have to share. You are such examples to all of us, including your grandchildren that will follow your examples.  We love you so much!"

No comments:

Post a Comment