Thursday, 19 January 2017

19 January, 2017

Write Something, Catherine
“write one to another..”

I think of writing often, and I somehow have a mental block and interject any distracting thought to dissuade me.  I really will try harder, because there is so much I find interesting, entertaining, amusing, enriching or surprising - maybe you would find that also, if I can put it into words.
For instance, just as I was going to write I saw a lizard on the wall near the computer.  I really didn’t want it to consider me for a landing pad, so I sent for the lizard patrol  (Tom) and he tried to get it and when it fell to the floor he tried to catch it but it’s tail fell off, so he took it on a paper to put it outside, but the tail stayed there still wiggling by itself.  Every single day I have experiences I never even dreamed of.

We were just approved for a project yesterday, and we’re excited about it, because it is “our” project and not one that we’ve inherited to do.  We’ll be working with the New Amsterdam Rotary Club to have water filtration systems put in some primary (elementary) schools so the children have healthy clean water to drink.  We will be facilitating a cataract surgery training at the Georgetown Public Hospital at the end of the month and all the work we’ve done finding and .ordering cataract surgery kits, lenses, and parts will finally conclude. We will be hosting the technical specialist, Dr. Aaron Smalley, and his wife while he trains the doctors here on surgical techniques (phaco, etc.) and sponsoring the obligatory “closing ceremony.”  Things at the hospital are challenging, to say the least. Hundreds of patients have been awaiting surgeries because a vision field analyzer machine has a burnt out light bulb.  Finding a bulb took a lot of detective work, but I know one man who is going to jump for joy when he sees it!  While the doctor is at work all that week, we plan on working on some other projects that are in process in the Georgetown area, including assessing a disaster relief container and looking at a night school that has requested computer donations from the Church.  We live almost 3 hours from Georgetown so we will be staying there for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment