March 12, 2017
Signs of the Times
"signs and wonders"
One of the more entertaining things about living in Guyana is reading signs of all genres. Some have a lot of personality, like, “No urinating” or even better “No pissin ya.” We went past a beauty shop named, “Shirleen’s Beauty Saloon.”
Colorful spray painted posters are stuck along the roads to advertise “Old Year’s Night” (New Year’s Eve) parties, dances, horse races, “all white” or “all black” parties (where you wear all black clothes or all white clothes - nothing racial about it) soca concerts, parades, or community events. The paint colors are bright and fluorescent, similar to grocery store window paintings on steroids.
This sign was prominently posted at the entrance to the hospital’s maternal and antenatal clinic advocating breast milk only for infants. Women here nurse openly, and the missionary elders don’t quite know how to respond!
This house has a hand-painted sign, “Protey not for Sale.” Those pesky real estate agents!
With socialized medicine, “ALL DRUGS ARE PROVIDED FREE TO THE PUBLIC.” This means long lines and a lot of waiting on the benches for your turn.
Somewhat common hand-lettered signs advertise chickens for sale, “Pluck or Live Chicken.” On this sign the painter questioned the original spelling and changed the
“V” in live to an “F” so the sign reads “Pluck chicken N life for Sale.”
You can go to a “Marriage Officer” to get married. I wonder if anyone has felt like they were handcuffed for the double ring ceremony.
Guess I'll sign off now.
Guess I'll sign off now.
I recognize a.few of those signs :)
ReplyDeleteLove these! misspelled sign are some of my faorites.
ReplyDeleteHey Mom! I love your posts! Post more about your projects and missionary stuff. I love you.
ReplyDelete