Monday, 19 June 2017

Side Show

On the Way to the Store
“in the attitude of mocking and pointing their fingers”


Bunches of Bitty Baby Cutie-Patootie Booties
On May 29 we were on a hunt for items to fill newborn kits (diapers, pins, blankets, booties, etc.) which will be stored in an emergency container.  We were in downtown Georgetown on a busy street.  As we crossed the street there was a street preacher wearing a tan linen smock and yelling into a megaphone.   I wasn’t paying much attention to him until I realized he was shouting at us.  He was calling us “pink devils” and screeching about the Book of Mormon and how Mormons hate black people.  I turned to look at him and calmly said, “That’s not right,” but he kept yelling, and so I just turned into the store.  Tom was not quite as calm, and told him to stop it.  Didn’t work.  But we then just ignored him.  A man watching the whole thing, looked at us as if to indicate he understood the guy was off-base.  We’ve also had people suck their teeth at us, which, we hear, is a sign of derision.  When that happens I play ignorant and just smile at them and say, “Good morning.”  

I know the young missionaries get a lot more heckling.  Just part of the whole deal, I guess.

1 comment:

  1. Oh SCARY! People are insane! Next time give him a hug and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete